Is your identity safe? National Crime Prevention Month continues which includes identity theft awareness. Identity theft occurs when personal information is stolen and used for financial or other gain. Below are some tips to pay attention to. When you are informed and alert you can remain protected. And that is the Good News.
- Protect your Social Security Number. Do not carry it in your wallet.
- Do not share your personal information such as birthdate, social security number or bank account information unless absolutely necessary.
- Shred all unneeded documents containing personal information such as receipts, offers, statements, and expired credit cards.
- Review your credit report regularly to monitor possible accounts not opened by you.
- And if you notice something suspicious, report it immediately to the BBB, Law enforcement and your specific institution.