Christmas season is here and the National Fire Protection Agency is reminding us about tree safety. Below you will find some tips for picking and protecting your tree and your family.
Picking a Tree
• Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not
fall off when touched.
Placing The Tree
• Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the
base of the trunk.
• Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from
any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles,
heat vents or lights.
• Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
• Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water
Lighting The Tree
• Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing
laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or
• Replace any string of lights with worn or
broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read
manufacturer’s instructions for number of light
strands to connect.
• Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
• Always turn off Christmas tree
lights before leaving home
or going to bed
For more information Public education – NFPA